The below guide will show the step-by-step process of enabling Multicasting on a Wisenet camera, enabling a network switch, testing the multicast stream using VLC & adding the Multicast stream on a SPD-151 Decoder.
Note - This guide assumes your cameras and display devices (SPD-151 for example) are on the same VLAN.
Enabling Multicasting on a Wisenet camera.
- Choose the video profile you want to enable Multicasting on.
- Scroll down to the Multicast section, in this guide I have given the camera an address of 188.8.131.52 - This can be anything between 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
- Enter a port number, here I have used 1024, this can be anywhere from 1024 up to 65534. (port 3702 cannot be used)
- TTL is how many router hops the Multicast traffic is allowed to pass through, the default value is 5.
- Click Apply once finished.
Enabling Multicast On The Network Switches.
In this example we are using a Layer 2 switch, IGMP Snooping must be enabled for the multicast traffic to travel properly through the network.
Note - IGMP Snooping must be enabled on ALL network switches between the Cameras and the display devices.
Using the Unifi portal from Ubiquiti, we can enable IGMP Snooping under Networks.
- Select the network with your CCTV traffic - Default network used here.
- Tick Enable for IGMP Snooping and click Apply Changes.
- Note - Using a Netgear managed switch, the process is similar.
Loading A Multicast Stream In VLC.
In this example, the camera used has an IP address of 192.168.20.241, we have enabled Multicasting on Video Profile 2 - this is the RTSP stream we will use.
- Open VLC and select Open Network Stream.
- Enter the RTSP URL and click Play.
- Enter the camera's Username and Password.
The Multicast video stream should now be shown.
Displaying a Multicast RTSP stream on a SPD-151 decoder.
- Navigate to the decoder webpage and click + to add a camera.
- Click Manual.
- Choose RTSP Protocol
- Enter the camera RTSP URL (Example - rtsp://192.168.20.241:554/multicast/profile2/media.smp)
- Enter the camera username and password.
- Click More Details and select UDP Mode (important step)
- Click OK
- Drag the newly added camera into the video tile of your choice.